Wednesday 26 September 2007

Night Class

I started a night class last night at Glasgow Uni. I’m doing Popular Music: An Introduction. I wasn’t really sure what it involved having read the blurb in the handbook, but the first lecture indicates to me that it’s a more heavyweight subject than I was probably anticipating.

Running for 12 weeks it features a wide range of subjects including censorship and freedom of musical expression, gender and sexuality and musicians and the musical career. There’s also a 2,000-word essay that needs to be done within the month as well as a written exam in January of next year.

Over the weeks we’re promised a guest lecturer from the music industry as well as a discussion with music industry panel. The class seems to be pretty popular as there were 30 people in a class that should only have 25 people signed up to it.

The class seems mainly to be made up of full-time students. There’s probably only one other person there older than me. Though I could be wrong. I’m also one of the few people in the class who doesn’t play a musical instrument. There were such a sea of hands that went up on that question that I may in fact be the only person in the class who doesn’t play a musical instrument. One of the few people in the class I spoke with was a guy who used to transcribe the NME into Japanese.

Among the things we did in class was try to work out the lyrics to Louie Louie. Matt, the lecturer, pointed out that the song was once
investigated by the FBI.

It’s not the only night class I’m taking. More tomorrow.

No comments: