Wednesday 23 August 2006

Can't Stand It


I had another stand-up gig last night. My third in less than a week, which is pretty prolific for me. I left for The Stand later than I should have, realised that I’d be late if I walked the whole way, so waited on a bus. Which obviously didn’t show up. So I got a taxi.

As I got to the venue I discovered they were looking for me as I was on first. I was pretty relieved about that to be honest, cos I wasn’t looking forward to hanging around.

My stuff went down well at the beginning and less so as my set progressed. This is probably because the first half of my set is all worked out, since I’ve been doing it about three years. The second half is a lot less refined with a lot of half worked out ideas and bits I’m not that enthused by.

I stayed to watch the next guy on and then left. Meaning I was in The Stand for less than half an hour. This is a pretty good indication of how much of a chore stand-up seems to be for me. I can’t think of a gig I’ve actually looked forward to, though I have enjoyed a few while doing them. Saturday’s gig at Kill the Monster in Edinburgh was one of these.

I think between now and my next gig I’ll have to sit down and write some new stand-up stuff. I’ve not really written any for a good, long time. I’m getting a bit fed up trotting out the same stuff, although the gold about pie crusts always seems to go down quite well. Maybe if I came up with some new stuff I would have some renewed enthusiasm for stand-up. So, if anyone has any suggestions for what new stuff I could write about, feel free to leave a comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've nothing new to add about your stand up material. I just wanted to say that it's nice to have you back on 'pish, Brogan.

Fraser said...

Thanks a bunch

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it's not that it's no fun having you on pish Fraser, it's just that you don't spew out the stories with the regularity of Brogan.

Although I must say, Pimp My Snack was one of the best websites I've seen in a long time. A close second is dogsincars.co.uk. Check it out, it's equally vacuous but fun.