Sunday 13 January 2008

There Will Be Blood

While I'm speculating about potential films of the year, here's another one sure to be a contender. Even in just viewing the trailer below it's obvious that Daniel Day-Lewis is turning in a powerhouse of a performance.

There's a big feature on him in today's Observer.

The director Jim Sheridan, with whom Day-Lewis made My Left Foot, The Boxer and In the Name of the Father, once reported him as saying that he hated acting. 'I dare say I did when I said it,' he retorts good-naturedly. 'Who doesn't hate the thing that they most love? Acting is an impossibly illusive trade to ply, but the prevailing sense I have when I go to work is one of joy. It is always represented as a kind of self-flagellation for me. It couldn't be further from the truth.'


2 comments:

Graeme said...

Did you see this article on the "50 biggest movies of 2008" in the Times? There are a lot of good ones coming out...Michel Gondry's Be Kind Rewind looks especially good.

Tom said...

Thanks for that link G.

Be Kind Rewind does look good.

Synecdoche, New York; Battle for Haditha; How to Lose Friends & Alienate People; Cloverfield; Burn After Reading; Righteous Kill and The Dark Knight look like some of the best from that lot.