Thursday 19 January 2006

Daniel Kitson @ The Stand

Since it was my birthday yesterday, (you all knew anyway) Jo took me to see Daniel Kitson at The Stand. He’s in the early stages of a national tour at the moment. This is the fourth time I’ve seen him in about 18 months and save for about 5 minutes on the topic of first class carriages on trains he did a completely new 2 and a half hour show.

To be honest I’ve seen him funnier but he still managed to be consistent and frequently hilarious. He reached his peak for me with his dissection of lads’ mags and in particular his impression of Johnny Vaughan’s ad for Nuts magazine. “Wiiiiimmmmennnnn…..wiiiiiiimmmmmmennnnn….what he wants to say is Slllllaaaaaaagggggggsssss…..sllllaaaaaaagggggsssss….” he thought of the average Nuts reader; into women, sport and cars, buying the magazine because “This is a hateful smorgasbord of my prime interests”.

Jill, who came with us had never seen (or indeed heard of) him before, but she was in absolute hysterics all the way through. There are no photographs from the show to illustrate the post cos unlike the woman who took a photograph of him I knew he’d turn any camera flash into a five minute bit.

Here’s a couple of decent reviews that cover some other shows in the tour. Brighton and Norwich. And here’s a review from the first night of his tour that ended up as part of the show.

No comments: