Wednesday 6 June 2007

Suicide Watch

I was here the other day there. I first noticed a crowd round about Waverley Station and a woman with a camera with a telephoto lens. I looked over and saw nothing, presuming that some fancy train was due to be coming in or out of the station.

Then when I was in a shop on Cockburn Street I heard someone say that there was a bomb scare. Funny how daft rumours start eh? Of course on hearing that I immediately returned to see if there were any good photo opportunities. The crowd that had been gathered round Waverley Station had been dispersed, being replaced by a policeman. Several police patrols had been set up at various locations adjacent to the station.

I took a couple of snaps, of nothing much other than the police. However if you look very closely at the top left hand corner of the first picture you can see the person who was threatening to jump and the two police negotiators. I didn’t notice them at the time and I only realised I had taken a photo of them when I looked back on my pictures. At the time I wasn’t aware what the situation was. The other rumour was that there was a burst water main.

I presume that the woman was successfully talked down as the news item states she was 'removed from the scene'. People threaten or commit suicide a lot from North Bridge. I remember seeing a woman standing over the other side of the bridge some years ago when I lived there.

Coincidentally on Saturday I took some photographs from atop the Erskine Bridge, unaware that someone had killed themselves from there only the day earlier.



No comments: