Monday 27 September 2004

Pictures

Over the weekend I saw Ae Fond Kiss (2/5). It was pish. I'm usually a fan of Ken Loach and Paul Laverty's work, but this really bored me. For a start it's a nothing story. Two people fall in love, at the drop of the proverbial hat I might add, and religion gets in the road. That's about it. Love conquers all though eh?

I thought the acting was ropey all over the place. Eva Birthistle was the one bright spot in it. The performances on the whole appeared to give the film a very improvised feel and although this may have been part of the process it looked like the first take had been used each time. The builders who were I guess supposed to be the comic relief were so infrequently used as to be redundant. Not a satisfying cinema experience at all.

Which certainly wasn't the case with Hero (4/5). This was a masterpiece in cinematography, sets and set pieces. Terrific action and a simple story with a lot of little twists and turns.

Tommy and Graham? What did you make of it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not seen Ae Fond Kiss. I've now heard two people say it was poor and one say it was good. There's so much out just now, I'm not sure if I'll catch it at the cinema.

Seeing Hero this week sometime. Really looking forward to it.

T