Tuesday 29 November 2005

From Writer/Director...

I meant to write about this the other week there, but I see that Gothamist too are as puzzled as I am. The trailer for the latest Woody Allen film Match Point is frankly odd. It’s odd in the sense that it’s pitched as some sort of Fatal Attraction style love triangle rather than the breezy romantic comedies that we’ve gotten used to.

After a couple of shots I thought “Scarlett Johansson, Jonathan Rhys-Myers…hey this is the new Woody Allen film…what the fuck?” Then wondered what’s with the suspenseful music? The lack of any suggestion of comedy? Then I wondered if Woody’s name would appear in the trailer. It did in a ‘From writer/director Woody Allen’ at the end.

Dreamworks are now bankrolling the Woodster’s movies and for this one they seem to have gone all out to capture a new audience. If it wasn’t a Woody Allen film I for one would have no interest in seeing it based on the trailer.

Woody hasn’t done a ‘serious’ film for several years and when he does they tend not to be among my favourites.

It’s released here in January. I think we’ve mentioned the predictability of Woody Allen film reviews before and when it comes out I’ll try to find two quotes. One with something in the vein of ‘A return to form’ and another saying it’s not a patch on his earlier works.

I wonder though if it will see an increase in audience figures with non-Woody fans being attracted through the young doomed love affair angle.

No comments: