Wednesday 23 November 2005

Meet the Whinging Dick

Hardeep Singh Kohli - a whinging fannyHere’s some good news to start the day off with, Meet the Magoons is not being recommissioned by Channel Four. Hurray! Now I no longer have to watch this show wondering what on earth made someone think it was funny enough to be made.

I did want to like it, it was based in Scotland, in fact their curry shop is actually in Clydebank and I was hoping that it would be good or at least promising. But when I watched it I realised quite quickly that it was miles off being funny.

It had no proper characterisation, no plots or storylines to speak of, far too much needless swearing and at its core one very smug writer.

Now that I’m actually at the fag end of show business these things wind me up more than they did previously.

Hardeep Singh Kohli made a lot of noise in every magazine, newspaper and chat show that would speak to him about how funny he was and how funny his show was. He made a lot of noise about how he was marginalised as an Asian by television and society and he also slagged off Scotland (from his home in London) about how he was ‘not allowed to be a flamboyant Indian in Glasgow’. (Not arguing that he didn’t suffer racist abuse, but Glasgow very rarely lets you be a flamboyant anything.)

Here’s what he said in The Sunday Times about Scotland when he was promoting that poor excuse for a comedy.

"The situation in Scotland is terrible. That’s one of the reasons I would never live here again. The street abuse is shocking. It’s a daily event. You are not allowed to be a flamboyant Indian. Neds shout abuse, people laugh at you and you always get funny looks. I don’t want my kids growing up in a country where I think there’s still so much racism.

I’m fed up with the myth that Scotland is warm and welcoming to everyone, that there’s no racism in Scotland."


Anyway now that he’s been forced to savour the news that his show just isnae funny, he’s accused Channel Four of being anti-Scottish.

“Even your daft punter on the street knows new comedy takes time to bed in.”

Nothing like having respect for your audience eh? Channel Four haven’t even officially gave the word that Meet the Magoons has been ditched.

I’m sick of this guy whinging every time something doesn’t go his way. From sitting back and bigging himself up over his pish excuse for a comedy show and taking potshots at Scotland and the attitude of TV producers who maraginalised him because he was Asian, when he thought he’d made it, to greeting now about how “there’s a lack of diversity on the channel.” Well there was a lack of funny when your show was on.

No, Channel Four don’t have too many Scottish based comedy shows on. They also don’t have too many good ones. I remember the Friday nights where you could watch decent imports like Spin City and Friends (when it wasn’t being repeated for the umpteenth time) followed by homegrown stuff like Spaced and Armstrong and Miller.

As for Scottish comedy on Channel Four I remember My Dead Dad.

It’s fuck all to do with you being Scottish it’s cos you have no clue how to assemble a half hour’s worth of comedy. Ya fanny.

No comments: