Wednesday 1 August 2007

Reaper


Kevin Smith has directed a newish TV pilot called Reaper, and having watched it I can tell you it's pretty funny.

Basically, a slacker finds out that his parents sold his soul to the Devil and when Satan comes for him on his 21st birthday, he hires him as a bounty hunter, chasing down souls that have escaped from Hell.

Sounds silly, it is and that's the fun.

It's kind of Quantum Leap meets Clerks meets Ghostbusters. And the "best mate" character is obviously based on the casting note "Jack Black Type Required".

As far as I'm aware, its looking good for being picked up as a series and should start in the States in September.

You can find out more about it
here.

And here's a trailer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty good, isn't it? Twin Peaks meets Shaun of the Dead. And the Jack Black thing is the first thing I thought of when I saw his sidekick.

I read that they'd had an order for 13 episodes...roll on September.

Fraser said...

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Had all the right elements, and the Jack Black clone thing didn't bother me because the guy was good at it, it's quite a well written role and I like Jack Black anyway.

Lets face it, this ain't The Wire, bit it's good clean fun with an original enough twist to make it interesting.

I'd always wished they'd made a Frighteners TV show, because I always liked the idea of a spooky show without the melodrama and fake largess that came with shows like Buffy and Supernatural and Reaper could fit the bill for me.