Thursday 29 July 2004

The Glasgow Rangers The Teddy Bears

Fizz, Ben and I went to the Rangers vs Spurs game last night. It wasn't a great game, but for me anyway it was nice to get back to a match for the first time in ages.

The new look Rangers side looked pretty good, Novo in particular, but Prso, Boumsong and Rae also looked smart. Gregory Vignol, who played as a trialist also looked good.

As for the banter, I was pleased that the one guy who valiantly attempted to start a classic bigoted number, was ignored by most folk in the ground. Robbie Keane came in for expected stick, however the cheers and applause going round the ground when he picked up a serious injury was pretty vile.

The music for the pre-match and half-time entertainment seemed to be mainly rock. And 20 year old rock at that. Bon Jovi, Van Halen...

As for the journey home. A queue for the underground that was about a thousand folk long, then a bus journey listening to some fud loudly giving his opinions on the match. "The new boy Pearco [sic], was brilliant." Luckily he didn't ask me for my opinions of the game, but did chat with this kinda slow guy who was on the bus with his Dad.

After his Dad got off we got, "That yer auld man? Aye? Thought it was. You want a three skinner? Aye on the bus come on!" There then followed some negotiation over the purchase of a single can of beer. "Tell ye whit I'll dae fur ye....since yer a guid blue-nose...I'll gie ye a swig o' Buckie...Up and dooner mind." He then told the slow boy to phone him for the next Gers game. This was all in the space of about 3 minutes. The slow boy apparently needed to find work, couldn't sign on cos he'd been caught diddling. "I've been there, I know the script, I've been all round the track, know the brew gemme inside oot." The slow lad got off and he turned his attentions to the lass sitting next to him. "Whit's your name hen? Want a wee toke?"

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers...

I'll post some photos soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was there too. Main Stand Rear, near the Broomloan End.

Right above you I guess...

Ronald von Braun