Friday 16 July 2004

No Swoop For Blogging Ace, 35

I find myself in a bit of a weird position this morning - I'm sick of the gubbing Celtic are taking in the papers.
I'm no massive fan of Martin O'Neil (Overrated? Oh, just a bit...) but I am fed up with newspapers endlessly filling their pages with "Celtic swoop for..." rubbish just to replace it the next day with "Celtic miss out on..." nonsense when there was never a story there to begin with.
A recent case involving a Romanian international know as "...the new Beckham" (What does that mean?  He screws around and can't take a penalty kick?) had the papers saying he was practically signed despite the fact that Celtic had responded to the speculation by saying they hadn't actually heard of the player.
Speculation in the press about signings and possible transfers is fine, but it's gone nuts this (pre) season, with the Glasgow papers in particular filling their pages full of utter crap no other branch of journalism would get away with.
Anyone can write a lot of rubbish about a transfer that's got no basis in fact - why should these guys get 50 grand a year to do it? If you have no particular skill and no means of getting a genuine story, why should you get the fat cash?
Worse than contibuting nothing, these hacks are actually devaluing the game with their endless, inaccurate drivel.
Anyway, I'll need to jet off before I'm carpeted by the beaks - I'm liable to be blasted by my crack boss if the 37 year old ace catches me doing this instead of working and I'd hate to be unable to trouser my massive 10 grand a year paypoke.


No comments: