Wednesday 4 August 2004

Don't Kill the Black Dahlia Twice

It’s about time I used these pages to have a wee bleat about the forthcoming Black Dahlia movie. As James Ellroy’s classic may be my favourite ever book, naturally I welcome and look forward to a movie adaptation. And for a long time everything looked good. David Fincher was working on it, a director who would have been perfect.

The casting, with the notable exception of Scarlett Johansson, is just dreadful. Josh Hartnett and Mark Whalberg are wrong, wrong, wrong! Had I been casting I would have opted for Edward Norton with either Eric Bana or Aaron Eckhart.

I was horrified when I heard that De Palma would be directing. I do like some of his films, but he hasn’t made a good picture since Carlito’s Way in 1993. (A film I love incidentally) along with Carrie (1976), Blow Out (1981) and The Untouchables (1987) there’s not much more of his work to enjoy. And no, I’m not forgetting Scarface, much as I love Pacino, I happen to think it’s an overlong, overblown piece of nonsense.

Instead of the dark, meticulously lit, well cast thriller that Fincher would have provided we’re in for a dire sub-Hitchockian shock-flick with undoubtedly a 20 minute opening tracking shot. Can someone save this piece of literary brilliance, from becoming a straight to video piece of pish? Bonfire of the Vanities anyone?

For some information on the murder case go look at the Black Dahlia Solution or The Crime Library

No comments: