Thursday 12 August 2004

More from the Fest

Here's a review of Daniel Kitson at The Stand.

I'll just answer Anonymous's question here. Daniel Kitson first played the Edinburgh Festival in 2001, where he forced me to say the word 'cock' to a pretty woman at the ticket desk in the Pleasance, by asking for my tickets for his show 'Love, Innocence and the Word Cock.' His one hour of self depreciating stuff about his stutter, his bullying by two young boys around his Crystal Palace home and the press's declaration that 'he admits to being a card carrying pedophile' "Er...no I didn't...you’ve misquoted me…and endangered my life…and I don't think pedophiles carry cards...'I'm in the union,'" had me in stitches. I have a badge somewhere with the word 'innocence' on it, or maybe it's the word 'cock.'

That show saw him nominated for the Perrier award, a gong he won in 2002 with his show 'Something.' Last year he attempted to confound critics and put off the 'twats' his success attracted by staging 'A Made Up Story' which was as it sounds and not straight stand-up at all. This year he again is trying to fuck off people he doesn't like by playing at 11pm and opting to do his show at The Stand as opposed to one of the more traditional festival venues.

He's a very funny man that you may have noticed in both series of Phoenix Nights, playing DJ/Barman, Spencer ("Spencer for hire"). Though he's not proud of that and thinks that Peter Kay is also a twat.

Fraser once supported him, though Daniel Kitson didn't arrive until about 4 hours after Fraser had left the stage.

I would have loved to have seen him this year myself, but alas it would leave me with a late night journey back to Glasgow as I have nowhere to stay in Edinburgh.

Hope that's enough for you Anonymous, if not, here's Chortle's profile on him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Pish, intrigued to read about Daniel Kitson. Is he any good? Who is he? His flier for the fringe is basic to say the least. I had all but dismissed him until I phoned up to book tickets for something else and was told by the automated voice that two of his gigs were sold out. This made me want to see him. What did everyone else know that I didn't? So, can you tell me about him?