Friday 1 October 2004

Give Us A Break!

A great day for me yesterday as I decided my horrible cold meant I had to pull a sickie for the first time in over 3 years.
It meant that I spend the day watching Murder She Wrote (guest starring Magnum and Higgins !!!), Moonlighting, the brilliant Sports Night and watched Rangers deservedly go through to the UEFA cup group stage.
That’s really what I’m on for. I’m a bit annoyed, yet again, with the reporting of what happened in the papers.
Instead of congratulating Rangers and Alex McLeish who showed great character to turn round an appalling start to the season, they have chosen instead to try and maintain the “Big Eck’s Job in the Balance” nonsense they’ve been peddling for weeks.
Basically, Rangers have risen to the challenge and rammed a lot of the criticism they were getting down the journalists throats, so rather than say “fair play” it’s “Eck Earns Reprieve” and similar pish, because they can’t ever admit they were wrong.
Alan Davidson in the Evening Times says that McLeish is a decent man. So why pillory him when he’s been given sod all to spend and had all his best players taken away from him?
Make no mistake, this current Rangers side as poor as I’ve ever seen, but they have shown real guts and determination lately and deserve credit for it.
But you never get credit from Scottish sports journalists, you don’t even get proper reporting of the facts. You just get a bunch of charlatans trying to justify a witch hunt, so that if things ever go wrong again, they can bay for blood and say I told you so.
It’s a shame that we live in a world where little men get to decide the fate of people who have actually done something.

No comments: