Thursday 28 October 2004

Some Comments

Fizz has been busy with the posts I see, while I've been off. I'll just comment on a few of them.

John Peel
I was gutted to hear that he had died (I heard incidentally by reading Fizz's post). It's still kind of hard to take in. He wasn't someone I listened to an awful lot, but I always enjoyed him when I did. I remember last year, living in student accomodation, with only a radio for company and listening to him. I mind he played The Marxist Brothers, what a great name for a band I thought. Beaten only by one of the last bands to be championed by him Steveless. So named because no one called Steve is in the band.

For me, the reason that John Peel enjoyed such longevity as a relevant broadcaster was because he realised that the music was the star of the show, whereas a lot of other DJs harboured under the misapprehension that they were. John Peel was as much an influence on British music as The Smiths, New Order or any other band he played.

Alasdair
A harmless wee guy, who sometimes doesn't know what he says can be heard by more than just him. And doesn't realise when he's on Britney Spears messageboards, people can see over his shoulder. I'm in the 'good guy' camp on young Al.

The Nearly Men of Writing
Yes, I'd like to get a firm answer as well instead of opening e-mails titled 'Commission,' only to find that a commission is still a way off, though nearer all the time. For anyone interested it's Radio Scotland with the pen quavering over the dotted line.

No comments: