Monday 11 October 2004

Stranger Things Happen At Sea...

Of the turgid international football action I decided to waste my weekend watching only one wee side story struck any kind of a chord. Apparently, French debutante Antonio Rio Mavuba was actually born at sea while his parents were on their way to France to seek asylum.
Does that mean that technically he could choose to play for any country in the world? And are there enough players born at sea to put together an international side representing the sea, a Poseidon's eleven if you will? You would have to say they would be hard to beat at home, although I'd imagine a lot of matches would have to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fraser, I studied the Law of the Sea as part of my law degree (my decisions were made on the basis of which subjects had 'open exams') and depending on exactly which part of the water ARM was born in could qualify him to play for specific teams. France may well have no right to claim Tony as one of their citizens. I hope this clears things up but if not, I still have some notes that I could loan you....

Anonymous said...

www.chewinggumvolley.com

A new cartoon every 2 and a half days! (Kinda!)
(Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I like big butts and I cannot lie.)

Couldn't find your email address, so just thought I'd post anonononononimously