Thursday 28 October 2004

No Feet up for Me

Although I've been off work, I've still been busy. Some of you may know that I'm producing a show that goes ahead this Saturday.

The show, A Slightly Lugubrious Bluebird of Happiness, is in tribute to my pal Gail, who died last month. I have kind of enjoyed organising it, even though it's a little bit stressful. I have of course ran into the various problems that crop up in this type of business.

Like having to go to the post office and hand over hard cash because my artist neglected to put any stamps on the poster he had sent. Then to open it up and discover that the Peter Saville to my Tony Wilson, had invented a new surname for Gail. Then followed a flurry of texts and e-mails in order to have the problem resolved. I spent an afternoon in the copyshop today, listening to the woman going 'pheeew, this is going to cost ya.'

I also appear to have been let down by a guy at the Metro, who came to me, suggesting that he put a piece in the paper about it. "It's no problem. It'll be in." A piece that has yet to materialise. That's fucking media folk for you.

Other than that, the only main problems involve booking rehearsal space and ensuring that people turn up. So far I haven't had an entire cast, and I don't think I will until about 3 hours before showtime.

I've found little time to actually learn the poems I have to perform on Saturday night.

Fingers crossed it'll all go well and I'll try to provide a review and photographs on Monday.

No comments: