Saturday 13 August 2005

Another Trip to Edinburgh

Since the days to my ‘holiday’ were dwindling I went back thru to Edinburgh yesterday to catch some more stuff. First up I went to see another sketch show The Monkey Butlers. ‘It is not awful’ ran yesterday’s 2 star review in The Scotsman and I pretty much have to agree with that.

The sketches showed little or no inspiration and there were too many ‘runners’ when the premise wasn’t interesting enough to hold it up for one sketch let alone three. They really did seem as if they were a student review, but since they’re all well past university age, I would have expected something a bit more substantial.

The acting was good though, Hal Cruttenden in particular was excellent. The only thing I really laughed at was his spot on impersonation of Tony Blair as a cannibal, though a lot of his mannerisms were a little like Blair’s and he does have the look of a chubbier version.

After that I took lunch in Bonsai the Japanese restaurant around the corner from the Pleasance. Not bad, portions a bit small of course, Diet Coke though was flat.

Then I saw ventriloquist David Strassman. He’s been performing for over 25 years and began playing the comedy clubs of New York at the same time as Jerry Seinfeld. Probably the main reason I thought he’d be funny is that earlier this year I made my way thru three DVD seasons of 70s sitcom Soap. On that Chuck and Bob – a deranged ventriloquist and his puppet – routinely made me howl with laughter. So I thought Strassman would have a chance of doing the same.

And he did. Some of his jokes were weak, but his talents are awesome and when he was funny, he was tears down the cheeks funny. My two favourites of the number of characters he brings on were Ted E. Bare and Sidney Beaverman, a beaver who is an aspiring comedian. The 50-year-old guy in front of me shouted and cheered like a 4-year-old when Ted E. Bare appeared.

Probably the best bits of the show were when he made a mistake, tripped over a line or wasn’t quick enough to the next line. In every instance his puppets would immediately mock him for his errors. I enjoyed him so much I even bought his DVD, which also made me laugh quite a bit.

In addition I bought Eugene Mirman’s CD ‘The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of...’ Eugene Mirman is playing at the Underbelly. On the strength of the CD I may go and see him, but there were more funny ideas than laugh out loud moments.

No comments: