Monday 19 December 2005

Daytime TV

Having been off work sick for a few days last week I watched a fair bit of daytime TV so I thought I would share some of the shows I saw.

First up is The Jeremy Kyle Show. Basically a Trisha style show with an aggressive man in charge of proceedings. You wouldn’t think there’s enough bams to go round both Trisha and this, but you’d be wrong.

He seemed very angry about every problem on the show, which on the days I watched it was Stepfathers not giving a fuck about their kids and teenagers who drink cos they hate their parents cos they can’t get their own way every time. On one of these shows was the most grey, dull, lifeless teenager ever, hooked on booze she was now a reformed character, though still drank a bit and still gave her Dad a hard time, though would still accept his handouts.

“I went off on one there mate because I’m a parent and this kid needs one thing…love.”

While sitting up late at night when I couldn’t get to sleep I had on Eurosport, which turns into a shopping channel at about midnight. This couple were demonstrating the Magic Bullet to their bemused but excited friends. Basically with this mad wee blender you can chop up and/or liquidise practically anything.

They put forward their theories as to how quickly a bar of chocolate, three peppermints and a scoop of ice cream could be turned into a milkshake. Or how long it would take to make an omelette from 3 eggs, an onion and some red cabbage.

It was kind of like Quincy in that their pals were always sceptical that what they were saying was true, then they were so happy when they discovered that yes, you could make a delicious drink from carrots, pineapples and broccoli…and you can’t taste the broccoli. The Magic Bullet only £65.

Back to daytime TV and I found myself quite enjoying The Paul O’Grady Show. He has such a down to earth approach yet still manages to seem quite showbiz. In amongst his guests, his dogs that he sits on his desk and his postbag he usually manages to take part in some activity that makes him look like a clueless fanny.

Daytime TV also includes documentaries on steam engines, Yes Minister and Law and Order.

I also had cough syrup for what must have been the first time in years. It’s funny to think now of when I was little and cough syrup was the worst thing you could imagine tasting. Now after years of drinking alcohol it’s actually quite pleasant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture, you know how much I love dogs in clothes!

Nic