Thursday 15 December 2005

Tom and Tommy Right All Along


I quite often jokingly scoff at Tom and Tommy’s somewhat “fruity” tastes in music, but I have to concede on a couple of bands they have been going on about for a while now, Arcade Fire and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

Arcade Fire I just fell in love with after listening to “Funeral” a few times, an album which looks as if it’s going to spend another Xmas topping album of the year lists as folk conveniently forget it came out in 2004.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists I was more resistant to, but I get it now. I think my main bone of contention was that they are a very slick, clever, clever band. A bit smarty pants. But in the end, the quality of the songs on “Shake the Sheets” got to me. Thinking about it the whole XTC / Nick Lowe / Elvis Costello vibe of the band should have been enough for me at the kick off, but hey, I’m glad I persevered.

As for other new stuff on the play-list lately My Morning Jacket’s “Z” is very nice, Neil Young’s “Prairie Wind” is a cracking return to form from an artist who’s been more miss than hit for a while and “Hypnotise” by System of a Down compliments its companion album “Mesmerise” with more acerbic lyrics and histrionic riff meistery.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Fruity. I think Shake The Sheets is the catchiest of the Ted Leo albums. The others were a bit slower to grow on me too.

I've been listening to Bright Eyes a lot recently. Worth checking out...sort of Ben Kweller meets Beck. Or something along those lines.


T

Fraser said...

Fruity is a Homerism isn't it? Though it might make you laugh. Do you know anything about Broken Social Scene? They sound interesting. Apparently in musical terms, Canada is the new Britain. Thank God for the music press. Doh.

Anonymous said...

I've not got a lot of Broken Social Scene stuff. What I've heard I've liked. Yeah, Canada seems to be where it's at this season.

Get Tom to give you some Death Cab for Cutie if you've not already got them. You might like them. Some more fruity music? Okay. The Like (www.ilikethelike.com) are prety good. All girl indie rock/pop type stuff. And, of course, one of my favourite bands/albums of this year: We Are Scientists (www.wearescientists.com) are definitely worth listening to.

The Ho is a big fan of SOAD who you mentioned in your original post. In fact, while I'm here, I'll give you what I think would be his recommendations: Biffy Clyro and Coheed and Cambria.


T

Tom said...

Yes, I'll give you some Death Cab. You're as well listening to the Wolf Parade now too since they'll be big this time next year. And from a few posts of mine back you'd probably like Giant Drag too.

Fraser said...

Looking around I see torrents for everything bar Giant Drag (well, there is omne but no seeders...) and We Are Scientists. So samples of these guys would be appreciated. Cheers lads. Tommy you coming out Monday?

Tom said...

If you go to www.myspace.com/giantdrag you can hear 4 songs and download 2. On www.myspace.com/wearescientists you can hear 3 songs.

Fraser said...

lovely ta.