Monday 6 February 2006

Chappelle on Oprah

Dave Chappelle appeared on Oprah on Friday. No, seriously, he did. He tells Oprah that he wasn’t crazy but did suffer from stress. He also states that he might return to Chappelle’s Show but only under special circumstances.

I had heard that there was a rift between Chappelle and his writing partner Neil Brennan and he talked about that as well. This article has a little bit of that, as well as the views of a ‘deeply moved’ psychologist.

You can have a look at some clips, here, here and here.

Or read about it on Oprah’s site. Dave says his troubles began in the middle of the first season, during a contract renegotiation. "Through a series of events and a little pressure, I ended up settling for way less than what I wanted. Then in season two, the DVD is released and it sets all these incredible records. Now suddenly this is a bigger moneymaker than they thought. It's already making money and it's a whole new revenue stream. And [now], my contract's up."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read some of the Oprah stuff at the weekend...offering to give some of the money away and stuff. I had always suspected that some of his comments about those "around him" were directed towards Brennan but hadn't actually seen any direct quotes. (And it seems this article doesn't provide them either.)

T

Tom said...

Ha ha no it doesn't. I had read that he felt some of Brennan's new material was 'racist'. However that wasn't a direct quote either, just a rumour.

Fraser said...

To be honest I'm getting a little fed up with this whole thing. It's fuck or play Chapelle. Don't know about you guys but Oprah ain't where I want to see the guy. If he does some more comedy, cool, I'll watch, until then I have my own problems, you know?

Anonymous said...

He's been doing stand up shows at clubs. I'd actually rather he waited, sorted himself out and decided what material he wanted to do, then did a TV show. Otherwise he could end up pumping out any old crap in order to fulfil a contract; which ends up being bad for us and even worse for his career.

Oprah's probably up there with Larry King in terms of the kind of talk show a celebrity would go on for a serious chat, as opposed to the - albeit funny - inane soundbite rubbish that is the late night shows. I mean, look how well it worked out for Tom Cruise...

T