Monday 13 February 2006

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins

Last night I went to see Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins play at Mono. Jenny Lewis is the lead singer with Rilo Kiley. She has just released her own album backed by the Watson Twins.

Support came from her boyfriend Johnathan Rice who features briefly in Walk the Line as Roy Orbison. From what I had heard of his stuff I expected to quite like him, but he was outstanding. A new song ‘We’re All Lost in the Desert and we’re Going to Die’ was the stand out for me. I even bought his album at the end of the night.

We had positioned ourselves to the right of the door at the wee walkway. Unbeknownst to us this was acting as the entrance and exit for the musicians. Despite saying to Tommy and Ronnie beforehand, “Do you really think she wants us three taking photos of her before she goes on stage,” I did snap the picture you see below. I shot her an apologetic smile, which she returned in a ‘You love me, eh?’ way. Though Tommy insisted it implied ‘Silly bastard’, though he wisnae slow in asking for a copy of the picture.

She put on a great show with a mixture of folk, country and gospel. The Watson Twins have great voices and provided some unique percussion playing quarters (US 25cents) at one point. Along with Johnathan Rice on guitar they ran through most of the new album, the highlights for me being Happy, Rise up with Fists and Born Secular.

Below is a Talking Pish photo special. There should be more pictures on This Place is Dead and Ronnie’s Flickr page. You'll also see photos of some original One Neck artwork that can be found in the Mono toilets.




















No comments: