Tuesday 4 September 2007

Late Summer Movies

I've been to the cinema a couple of times in the last week. While I'm still an unemployed bum I should spend a bit more time in the cinema than I do.

Anyway first of all I saw Knocked Up (****) it's a really solid comedy. Much as you would expect from Judd Apatow, one of the smartest guys in American comedy. It has plenty of laughs, has characters that you can root for and a strong screenplay that has all the right ups and downs. It's a film that I couldn't stop thinking about even a day or two later. It may well be, as some of the reviews state, the summer's best comedy.

The other film I saw was Breach (****). Chris Cooper plays the real life disgraced FBI man Robert Hanssen. That link tells you all about his crimes, but the film starts off by revealing what happens to him, so therre's no shock ending.

Breach is directed by Billy Ray, who also made Shattered Glass, another story of a man living a lie, who was ultimately brought down. This plays out in a similar fashion. It's a strong, absorbing thriller with excellent performances from Cooper, and Ryan Phillippe as the agent sent to bring him down.

No comments: