Friday 12 November 2004

An All Day Session

Yesterday I went out on a day long drinking session with Jo and Moira. That said it wasn't booze the whole way. Having found half of Byres Road shut due to waterworks and renovations we finally ended in out of the rain in the new Bar Buddha in Creswell Lane for breakfast.

From there though we headed for the movies and saw (oh my good God) Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (1/5). It was much as I had anticipated and is indeed the first film all over again. My favourite bit though is when the Thai authorities allow Bridget to open the minds of the Thai women in prison with Men are from Mars Women are from Venus books, Galaxy chocolate and lingerie. Despite the fact that one of Britain's best comedy writers, Richard Curtis has had his hand in this, it smacks of the boring rubbish any day dreaming housewife could knock out in 90 minutes. Start with an insecure woman prone to jumping to conclusions, chuck in some daft fantasy about a dream wedding proposal, a few know-it-all friends, a cad and a (shock) happy ending and there you go Bridget Jones 3. As we left the cinema my sarcastic comments of "What an ending! That was like The Sixth Sense! What a twist. I'm floored," weren't welcome.

Back in the real world we spent most of the afternoon in The Universal on Sauchiehall Lane. We had our tea there and I was pleasantly surprised by how good their food was. In the evening we drank cocktails in Gong. The Tooty Fruity proved popular. When that shut we finished off in Oran Mor. I think we were all surprised we had lasted that sort of pace.

By the end of the night we had amused ourselves by playing games such as Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon and this easier version of the same game. Though Jo did comment several times, "Tom, I've never heard of any of those films."

I can't say I'm really looking forward to my return to the workforce next week.

No comments: