Tuesday 16 November 2004

The Hilarity Continues

My comedy comeback continued apace last night with a gig at The Stand in Edinburgh. This was much more like it for me as I went down really well and enjoyed it on stage. I even felt like I wanted to do more. I was on first, as I had predicted on my way there. Generally I quite like being on first, as for one thing if it goes well you can enjoy the rest of the night. Some of my jokes were slow burners, but everything got a laugh.

As for the rest of the evening, as these nights tend to be it was a bit of a mixed bag. My mate, the ever unpredictable, Tony was on. Mad dancing, a toy drum kit, a brilliant bit of improvisation with a lighter and a terrific closing line made him the best of the evening for me.

Other acts on the bill. The double act who spoke in faux American accents all night long absolutely done my head in backstage. An Australian guy who was flashed 12 times to finish up was probably the most excruciating part of the night.

It was the second time I've played the Edinburgh Stand and the second time I've went to The Basement for dinner beforehand. I dunno if I like the idea of forming some sort of pre-match ritual, but perhaps I have.

On this occasion my solitary supporter was Jo and lucky I took her as she offered a detailed critique, not so much of this performance but of gigs previous. This time I didn't do any of the things she said I had a bad habit of doing. Like swinging back and forward for example, I had no idea.

As for the secret details of forthcoming gigs, I am on in Hamilton next week and don't worry I don't expect anyone to come along to that one.

No comments: