Wednesday 11 July 2007

Security Alert at the Dole

I've just been to sign on. I got to see those Group 4 security boys in top class action. Lining up to wait to see a 'floor manager' was a young Asian girl, and a white Glesca stoater.

As he took his place in the queue behind her, he said something along the lines of,

"Why aren't you working in your shop?"

Taken aback by this the girl asked him what he meant.

"You know what I mean," the stoater replied.

I think that was the last word he got in as the girl voiced her objections to his patter in no uncertain terms. So much so that a security guy attempted to step in. He radioed for his pal to come through from the back, while asking the stoater to step away.

When his younger assistant arrived he was in the process of telling the girl to calm down. The second security guy thought it was her that was getting chucked out and made to launch her.

"Naw, it's no' actually her. It's this guy."

The stoater was then asked repeatedly to leave.

"But I've got a giro to collect."

"I'm sorry sir."

"Can I just get my giro?"

"Sorry sir."

"Can I get my giro after that lassie's away?"

"You're going to have to leave sir."


Eventually he left. Then came back. Was told to leave, this time by practically the whole staff and some folk signing on. Then left again. The girl was literally shaking and announced that the incident would bring on her epilipsy.

Perhaps the guy had seen her working in a shop and was ready to do what the posters in the buroo say and shop her. But more than likely it was that casual racism that Glasgow's managed to develop a reputation for.

No comments: