Thursday 30 June 2005

Pizza and Pictures

After we had tea at Uber Lounge (fine pizzas and they do a nice 2 for 1 menu too), Jo and I headed for the cinema to see Dig! a documentary about the bands The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. However on reaching the cinema we discovered it was sold out. Having had a couple of Desperados with dinner I would have been happy to head back to the pub.

Jo had other ideas and we went to see a New Zealand film called In My Father’s Den. Although neither of us was holding out much hope for it, having built ourselves up for some rockumentary, we both thought it was brilliant.

It features Matthew MacFadyen of TV’s Spooks returning to his family home for the first time in 17 years following the death of his father. There he meets Celia, a young girl who may or may not be his daughter. Slowly paced it really pulls you in from the off and although I guessed the big twist about midway through I was excited when I did, (as I kept wanting to nudge Jo to tell her) rather than moaning about it being predictable. The cast were excellent, I wasn’t expecting much from MacFadyen, but he was excellent and I’ll be happy to watch whatever he does next. Emily Barclay who played Celia was brilliant too.

New Zealand always looks great on film and the look is helped by the Cinematographer being Stuart Dryburgh who was also the Cinematographer on The Piano.

It’s well worth going to see.

Dig! comes out officially tomorrow, so I’m sure we’ll get to see that next week anyway.

No comments: