Sunday 22 May 2005

The Gigging Weekend

Two gigs this weekend. And to be honest another two that were somewhat less than inspiring. On Friday night Mags had asked me to compere one of her popular Acoustic Heaven gigs at the Ramshorn Theatre. It was apparent from early on that few people were really interested in listening to me doing stand up, so I worked mainly on building up the acts, telling the audience to shut up at the end of each break and making the odd announcement. The night itself was very good, with a lot of top quality acts on.

Saturday night I did a gig at Blackfriars. Poorly attended though it was, it went over okay. There were a couple of seemingly lairy girls down the front, but in actuality they were quite nice, though it did help that I started with "Straight off the bat, I'd like to make it clear that I'm quite frightened of you two. In particular you." From that point they decided to be nice to me.

Also on the bill were Kevin Bridges, Jack Burns, Matt and Farron and compere Scott Agnew. Kevin was pretty good, very confident, Matt and Farron were funny, if somewhat offensive at times and Scott did an excellent job of whipping ten folk up into a participative audience.

As for my part I really should spend more time turning some of the half thought out ideas, that litter my set, into proper routines. A bit more time spent writing and honing should make future gigs more enjoyable.

Just one word of warning before you click on the links. If you go to Scott's site, be careful it's very funny but it ain't for the faint hearted.

No comments: