Wednesday 28 September 2005

Destroy Guerrilla Marketing


Travelling to work today I noticed a spray painted publicity blurb for uber-dull Scottish dance act Mylo on a electrical signal box. It hadn’t really hit me before, but why has this guy and his record label Breastfed been allowed to spray graffiti and effectively deface the city in a bid to sell records?

If anyone remembers, I blogged about a despicable example of what’s known as guerrilla marketing a few weeks ago, when Nike stole Minor Threat’s logo and image as part of a corporate skateboarding event. But at least they weren’t actually damaging and defacing public utilities, although I’m sure they would if they though it would sell a few more pairs of gutties.

Ultimately, Mylo’s spray painted marketing campaign will have to be cleaned up and who will have to pay for it? That’s right, me and every other muggins council tax payer in the city. So this fud and his “cool” cronies are probably going to end up costing me money.

Of course, the other possibility is that it will just be left to fade over the years, like so much of the damage done to this decaying wreck of a city by its near-sighted residents.

In the meantime, I’m going to try to get the ball rolling on the Council suing Breastfed, or at least getting them to pay for the clean-up.

Hopefully the move will bankrupt them, allowing me to enjoy my remaining years free from their vapid back catalogue, helping me to escape the inevitable point where their marketing campaign for a new record involves them pissing through my letterbox or slashing the name of someone’s new album into my cheek.

Let’s see how cool and clever these cynical fucks think they are when City Chambers has them in overalls and marigolds cleaning up the mess they have made.

3 comments:

Alasdair R said...

Those grafitti ads have been around GLasgow for well over a year now, from when Mylo's duff LP was first getting 'grass roots' support. I always wondered why the label got away with it.

Let's start the campaign to see the boring DJ doing community service!

Anonymous said...

Limmy wrote about this at the time the graffiti went up. I think his suggested solution was to download a copy of Mylo's album without paying for it.

T

Fraser said...

Having heard some of it, it would just be wasted space used up on my hard drive.