Saturday 24 September 2005

It's a Hit

I think we can safely hail the 3rd You Owe Me Glue a success. A complete sell-out, we were in the odd position of turning people away at the door, we even had someone attempting to blag his way in. "I know Tom Brogan," he told me. Naw you don't mate.

As for the show itself we stormed it, although for my part I didn't think I performed all that well. The crowd were very responsive, we had them shouting out and they really got into a few of the sketches.

Darran put in a first class performance shutting the one heckler up, making the most of his every line and turning what I thought was one of the weakest sketches into a stormer. His portrayal of Jesus went over well and he played up to my lairy Judas very well.

The one sketch though that absolutely slayed the crowd was Fight Night on the 40. A boxing TV show on the bus. Fizz nailed his sportscaster well and Dazza and Jason mugged to the audience perfectly. It was a weird feeling performing it as with the lights deciding to go on and off and the crowd shouting out and roaring along with it, there was a real sense of something chaotic happening. With this type of show we fall into an odd middle ground between theatre and stand-up and the two really crossed over last night.

I should mention of course Anne-Marie and Moira who were both excellent. And the sketch that Anne-Marie contributed to the show went over well too, with no small part played by Darran's performance. It was met by a mixture of laughter and disgust.

So all in all a great night. The only thing now is where to go from here. In my humble opinion it's become too good a show to do to a local audience on an irregular basis. We have to find somewhere to do this regularly, build some sort of momentum and start to take ourselves more seriously in terms of getting media and television folk to take some interest in us.

The show was filmed, so hopefully we can get a few copies made up. Have a look at the new YOMG thread on Chortle for further evidence of a satisfied crowd.

I should also say thanks to Graeme for doing the lighting and sound. He got everything just right despite having to contend with some technical problems. And thanks to Iain for doing the artwork and Lindsay (who I forgot to thank in the programme) who did flyers for us and designed our DVD cover.

No comments: