Monday 27 November 2006

I’m Giving This Post 110%

In our day job, as most of you know, we get to tart up the language and phrasing salespeople scribble down on behalf of customers. This means we are faced with phrases such as “What makes our business stand out from the competition is that we are not cowboys.”

Or

“We do the job to completion” as if not fucking off in the middle of the work is a selling point.

We also get a lot of people saying that they “Give 110%” or occasionally “120%”. I think that’s been the highest percentage giving I’ve seen.

Anyway, Limmy started an amusing thread about the subject of “110%” over at his blog. Some of the comments are pretty funny.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "Lets run it up the flagpole and see if it flies" which works as businessspeak and gay innuendo.

Also "Lets blue sky it" which I can onl presme is a reference to the Tomm Lee Jones/Jessica Lange box-office flop.

Fraser said...

It's so true. Last week I had a taxi firm who wanted me to make the point that all their drivers held drivers licences. In other words: "We comply with the law and that's about all we do." Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

British Gas had "Do The Right Thing".As a committed employee I complied by throwing a bin through the window of the local pizzeria.This was after management had killed radio Raheem.

Tom said...

Aye I seem to remember the Gas had that 'doing the right thing' campaign going round about the time that old couple froze to death cos British Gas cut them off.

You know even if that wisnae true (and it is) this blog gives me the power to say (to the 3 or 4 people that read it) that British Gas (and the Edinburgh branch in particular) are murdering sub-human scum.

Anonymous said...

Very Bitter,Mr B. I agree though.Mind you, is there an enery company or call-centre that doesnt fall into that category?

Anonymous said...

Of course I meant energy company.Damn my west-coast secondary school education.