Friday 17 November 2006

Scottish Football Museum

As I mentioned in my last post I spent an afternoon today at The Scottish Football Museum. I've been meaning to go for a while and it was certainly worth the trip.

I took the stadium tour as well, and as it was a wet afternoon in November, I was the only one on it. To be honest the dressing rooms aren't all that exciting, but it was nice to get an inside look.

I hit 38mph on Hampden Hot Shots, the electronic shot measuring device in the players' warm up area. As there was only me I got to take as many shots as I liked. Thumping balls into a net at Hampden is a far better way to spend an afternoon than in an office.

It was also good to walk out of the players' tunnel and onto the edge of the pitch. As Scotland Today were filming in the area where the cup gets presented I got to take a seat in the Royal Box, with its padded seats and carpeted floors.

The museum itself has a wealth of great things, with caps, medals, trophies, shirts, programmes and various other souvenirs from Scottish football history.

The Scottish Cup, on show in the museum, is only taken out of its display case for the presentation at the final. It's then taken from the winning side, who are handed a replica, as the original is locked back up.

I enjoyed seeing shirts and medals from famous games like Aberdeen's European Cup Winners' Cup win and Dundee United's 1987 UEFA Cup final, as well as Scotland shirts from throughout the 20th Century.

For some photographs of my visit, have a look at my Flickr page.

No comments: