Thursday 13 May 2004

The 50 Most Influential Comedy Albums

Again for fans of Stand-Up, here's an interesting feature on The 50 Most Influential Comedy Albums.

As it's an American feature, all the albums in the list are from the US of A. Of the ones I have or have heard my faves from the list are Woody Allen's Stand Up Comic and Rant in E-Minor by Bill Hicks.

Stand Up Comic is, as the feature says, a masterclass in comedy writing. Although nowhere near as good as listening to it, you can read transcripts of the album here.

My favourite bit on Rant In E-Minor is Hicks's rant on Jay Leno's selling out.

As for the albums on the list that I haven't heard, I'd like to hear more of Robert Klein and I'd really love to hear the Albert Brooks album. I once saw his ventriloquist act on The Ed Sullivan Show and I find it hard to think of something that I've laughed harder at.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another one hit wonder from the late '70s, was "Struck by Lighning"!

Its amazing how desperate the networks were for new show ideas. Especially if they have to rip off Mary Shelley for sitcom ideas.

"Struck by Lightning" may bring a smile to the lips of Frankenstein aficionados, but it obviously didn't do much for anyone else, as this series detailed how a descendant of the late doctor discovers his heritage, thanks to the caretaker of the inn he's inherited. By the way, did I mention the caretaker was actually Frankenstein's Monster??

Of course, if you're going to cast Frankenstein's monster in a sitcom,JACK ELAM has the face for it as well as the comic timing. And I do remember a few moments when I actually got a laugh from this one-timer series (all due, in large, to Elam). But this is just another example of a one-idea show stretched out too long to make a good series.

By and large, "Struck by Lightning" will never make you forget "The Addams Family".

One star, for Elam.