Sunday 9 October 2005

Burns in Blackfriars

Last night I went to see Brendon Burns play at Blackfriars. I did have the chance to actually support him, but couldn't really be bothered going up onto stage. His set involved people's reluctance to accept others and how hard people will go to find something to hate in someone else. Like, for example, the rivalry between Portsmouth residents and people from Southampton "You're from near me but you're not me." Or the rivalry between skiiers and snowboarders. "Same colour, same social class, but they hate each other because the stand on different bits of wood."

He calmly chatted with the crowd throughout the show, though routinely would insist that he couldn't make out a word any Glaswegian was saying. A solid if unpredictable performer the Australian comic provided an effortlessly funny hour and ten minutes. I was also amused though by the fact that to the side of the stage our YOMG poster is still up and still smeared in Jason's fake blood.

Of course going to Blackfriars of a Saturday evening also brings about being entertained by big Scott Agnew. His sister and her fiance were in the audience and he was telling me that the only reason they met was that Scott was trying to crack onto him. A story to tell at the wedding I fear.

No comments: