Saturday 22 October 2005

Serenity Now

I went to see Serenity last night, so I can now join the debate. I haven't yet seen the TV series Firefly, though having just bought it I will soon. So, as a stand alone film I really enjoyed it.

Since I'll be addressing Fizz and Tommy's previous comments I guess this post contains slight SPOILERS.

It has a harsher tone than I was expecting and yeah I was surprised that the wisecracking leader of the ship was also a ruthless bastard, that did seem an odd dichotomy.

As for the deaths, I expected a couple of cast deaths somewhere along the line. The film starts off quite brutally, so the tone was set then. Why that tone was set though? I think with TV you can be a braver, if an angle isn't working you can always make changes further in the run, but with a movie you have to lay your cards out a lot earlier.

The Reavers looked a wee bit scary, but yeah as scary as a member of Slipknot coming at you outside the kebab shop.

It had a lot of the elements in it that made Star Wars such a success, with Mal being more Han Solo than Luke Skywalker and with a young precocious woman at the centre of their troubles.

My opinions may change when I see the TV series, but on the whole I'd say it's well worth going to see.

I went with a woman who screamed and waved her arms about at every violent or surprise moment, and there were quite a few.

1 comment:

Fraser said...

Nice picture of the serenity ladies. They are pretty much all utterly lovely.