Friday 14 October 2005

Carol Ann Duffy

I thought I would do a quick post on Carol Ann Duffy, since I recently visited a toilet displaying her work.

From Contemporary Writers Dot Com.

Poet, playwright and freelance writer Carol Ann Duffy was born on 23 December 1955 in Glasgow and read philosophy at Liverpool University. She is a former editor of the poetry magazine Ambit and is a regular reviewer and broadcaster. She moved from London to Manchester in 1996 and began to lecture in poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University.

Her poetry collections include Standing Female Nude (1985), winner of a Scottish Arts Council Award; Selling Manhattan (1987), which won a Somerset Maugham Award; The Other Country (1990); Mean Time (1993), which won the Whitbread Poetry Award and the Forward Poetry Prize (Best Poetry Collection of the Year); and The World's Wife (1999). Feminine Gospels (2002) is a celebration of the female condition. In Out of Fashion (2004) she creates a vital dialogue between classic and contemporary poets over the two arts of poetry and fashion.

Carol Ann Duffy is also an acclaimed playwright, and has had plays performed at the Liverpool Playhouse and the Almeida Theatre in London. Her plays include Take My Husband (1982), Cavern of Dreams (1984), Little Women, Big Boys (1986) and Loss (1986), a radio play.

She was awarded an OBE in 1995, a CBE in 2001 and became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 1999.

She has a new poetry collection called Rapture that has just been released.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love her. Her poems are often quite down to earth and 'understandable'. I have a couple of her collections and her poetry reminds me of Gail Wylie's. I never asked her if she was a fan but I suspect she was, given her love and knowledge of Scottish Literature. Carol Ann wrote a poem about a poet visiting a school (probably Carol Ann) written by an ascerbic English teacher who was giving it, 'oh we have a poet in our midst' in the same vein as Gail's poem, The Misfit.

Incidentally, that poem you are talking about, 'Eurydice', has been in each of my bathrooms since I found it at uni and typed it on my word processor in 1995.

Nic

Tom said...

I know it has. I've seen it in Cathcart, Edinburgh and now St George's Road.

Fraser said...

Fucking poetry. It's talking pish people. Not talking poncy. ;)