Friday 18 June 2004

Fantastic Hospitality, Clive

Did anyone else notice the blatant bias for the host nation in the Portugal vs. Russia game the other night there? I can accept that they want England to win, just so long as it doesn't colour the way they see the game, but they're supposed to be providing a neutral commentary.

Yes the tournament will be better with Portugal progressing rather than Russia, bigger and more excited crowds, more skilful players, better football etc. However just cos the hotel porter runs about after you and the waitress gives you a wee wink, that shouldn't mean that you put your ITV microphone behind the Potuguese. If Clive and the rest of the lads are finding Portugal a great place to be that's fine, just so long as they're not being paid to become cheerleaders for the national team.

Since I'm keeping one eye on the trouble in Portugal I suppose it's only fair to mention the Russian fanny who invaded the pitch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered when we would get more football antics. The 'pish boys are however silent on the England victory yesterday. I only seek your comments as I happened to catch a few minutes of the Cro Fra match and wonder a) who eventually won (when I watched it was 2-2) and b) if Cro are then to face Eng in the next round. Have I understood it correctly? It could be that your punditry is rubbing off on me and I am actually starting to care about this Eurosoc 2004. I too wish England well, but not too well. Semis at the most please.

Secondly, I loved the Michael Madsen site. 'Vengence unlimited' is now high on my 'must see' list. It sounds like something Fraser has on video tape.

Lastly, I find myself with nowt to do tonight and might treat myself to La Boheme showing at the Festival Theatre. Could you find me one of your wee gem websites telling me the story so that I don't have to worry about it being in Italian. Thank you 'Pish.