Thursday 16 March 2006

Hidden

I’m looking for Mr Hosie here to possibly help me out on this post. Jo and I went to see Hidden last night and although we were both enjoying it up to a point, we came out frankly baffled. Mr Ho have you seen it? do you have any theories? Suggestions? Comments? And indeed if anyone else has please help me out.

It’s a slow moving film, but nothing wrong with that, Daniel Auteil is good, but he has to be as he carries the whole thing. Juliette Binoche is probably underused. I went into the film knowing very little about the plot, but basically a couple are tormented by an unknown stalker who sends them video tapes shot outside their home.

It’s hard to say whether I enjoyed this film or not. It’s kind of like going out with a girl, you think it’s going fine, then she chucks you and you forget what was good about it in the first place.

To say the film was unsatisfying would be an understatement. Jo and I both attempted to offer various theories on the way home, but nothing seemed to stick.

To me I don’t think it was a deliberate attempt to be clever I think the fact that it tells an incomplete story was a failing of writer and director Michael Haneke that he’s managed to pass off as art. I’ve searched on the net for a bit to see if anyone can explain what happened, but no one really can.

Hidden ended up being a real disappointment as it could have been one of the year’s best films if only it had a complete story.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Funny you mention that, I recalled that film as well. As we were walking up the road I explained all about Limbo to Jo. However I think that only served to further confuse her.

At a point near the end when the camera returns to the position it was in at the beginning of the film I did have the thought 'is it just going to end now?' So I wasn't unprepared for the abrupt ending a short time after. Didn't make it any easier to deal with though.