Sunday 16 July 2006

Kelvingrove

As I'm sure everyone knows Kelvingrove Art Galleries re-opened on Tuesday. I went along yesterday. I didn't spend as long there as I would have liked, due to having to hang about my flat waiting on the landlady, but anyway here's what I saw.

There's a new layout, though I remember some of the paintings from their familair location, such as Carlo Dolci's Salome with the Head of Saint John the Baptist and the selection of French landscapes, such as those by Alfred Sisley and Eugene Boudin.

There is a colourful French Art section and I went straight to Vetheuil by Claude Monet, a painting I recall from my previous visits. Landscape with Willow Trees by Maximilien Luce is another painting I remember.

There are lots of additions to the museum though, for example there are several interactive displays. Monsieur Dufy's Day is one such display, telling the story of Raoul Dufy.

There was a big crowd around Christ of Saint John of the Cross. There's some excitement about the painting being back on display at Kelvingrove for the first time since 1993. It has though been hanging in St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, just 5 minutes' walk from the city centre. So if you were really that excited about seeing it, it was only a bus journey from Kelvingrove away.

There are also several local displays such as Glasgow Stories and Scotland's First People, a look at Scotland's ancestors. There's also a new Charles Rennie Mackintosh display, but I didn't have the time to do it justice.

Here's a preview of the opening from last week's Observer. This is a piece from Friday's Herald.

Below are some photographs from my visit. Ronnie also has some photos on his Flickr site.














No comments: